Congratulations to our winner, David Reavis, who got 26 out of 26! Most impressive! Your fabulous prizes and copy of Storylandia 4 will be winging their way to you this week. Enjoy!
The big reveal:
Questions by Michelle Brooks
1. What is the actual town that is fictionalized as Thalia in Larry McMurtry’s The Last Picture Show?
2. What is the name of Larry McMurtry’s bookstore in his hometown?
3. What is the oldest continuous jazz club in the United States?’
Baker’s Keyboard Lounge in Detroit
4. Who were the two artists to get creative control from Berry Gordy in Motown?
Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye
Questions by Kathryn L. Ramage
5. Where did Jane Austen die?
6. How many stars does the Statue of Freedom atop the U.S. Capitol building have on her head ?
7. What years did Booth Tarkington win the Pulitzer for The Magnificent Ambersons and Alice Adams?
The Magnificent Ambersons in 1919 and Alice Adams 1922
8. In the film “Kind Hearts and Coronets,” how many times is Alec Guiness murdered?
Denis Price murders him 6 times; 2 of the characters Guiness plays die of natural causes
9. What was Agatha Christie’s final novel by publication/release date?
Sleeping Murder, 1976
Questions by Theresa Hinkle
10. In Peter S Beagle’s ‘The Last Unicorn’, what was the other ‘real’ magical creature in Mommy Fortuna’s carnival?
The harpy, Celaeno
11. Who are Jerry Statler and Conrad Waldorf?
The hecklers from The Muppet Show
12. Which Surrealist painter developed the Paranoic-critical method of painting?
13. Which of Tartini’s compositions did he claim was inspired by a particularly vivid dream of the devil?
Tartini’s Violin Sonata in G minor, or the Devil’s Trill Sonata
Questions by Fred Skolnik
14. What was the biggest city in Europe in the 13th century?
15. Who discovered Cicero’s Letters to Atticus in 1345?
16. Which was the last Southern state to secede from the Union in the American Civil War?
Tennessee on the 8th of June, 1861
Questions by Ginger Mayerson
17. What’s the first name of Mary Worth’s boyfriend?
Dr. Jeff Cory
18. What free webhost did Yahoo close in 2009?
GeoCities (though still available in Japan) (hat tip to D Reavis for the Japan information ED)
19. What Puccini opera is set in Nagasaki?
20. Who is this actress?
21. What country has a western border on the Caspian Sea and an eastern border with China?
Questions by Kris Anderson
22. Who is the Godfather of Manga?
23. IKEA is actually an acronym, for what do the letters stand?
Ingvar Kamprad Elmtaryd Agunnaryd
24. In what television show can you find Arnold the Pig?
25. Name three core members of “The Brat Pack.”
Emilio Estevez, Andrew McCarthy, & Ally Sheedy (also Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson & Molly Ringwald)
26. In the English dub of Hayao Miyazaki’s Howl’s Moving Castle which actor voiced Calcifer?
Thank you, everyone!
“Three Days Standard Bereavement” by Michelle Brooks, “Heorrot” by Kathryn L. Ramage, “Ashes” by Megan Feldman, “Of the Night” by Theresa Hinkle, “All the Lonely People” by Fred Skolnik
Where to buy: Online (10% discount with this code: FUXBWW3E); Amazon; Kindle; Nook; ePub; Other places.
Cover: “White Poppy Seeds” by Molly Kiely